Friday, March 6, 2009

Doulos: The Floating Bookshop (in Manila this March!)







Doulos is the world's oldest active ocean-going passenger ship (and is recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as such). Owned and operated by Gute Bücher für Alle e.V. (Good Books for All), a non-profit, charitable trust registered in Germany, Doulos is now used as a floating bookshop with the purpose of bringing knowledge, help, and hope to the people of the world.

I remember reading about this in the newspaper the last time they were here---back in January 2007---and the words "floating bookshop" sealed the deal for me. I was there the next weekend I was free, dragging my parents, my sisters, and my cousin. Of course, me being so excited over the idea of a floating bookshop, I thought that the whole ship was going to be filled with books, from the bow to the deck to the rear. I was a little disappointed that it was just the rear, but I think it lasted for only for 2 seconds. It was still a bookshop and that was enough for me!











The Doulos bookshop shelves are filled with over 6,000 books (there are actually 500,000 books in the hold) on Literature (more of the classics), Science, Mathematics, Geography, Sports, Hobbies and Crafts, Cookery, Music and the Arts, Philosophy, Christian Living, and Children's literature. Besides books, there are also mugs, pens, notepads, journals, and music CDs for sale.

The last time I was there I came home with Doulos pens, notepads, an origami book, a Doulos "construct-your-own-ship" activity book, and a few children's books for my niece. There wasn't really much I was interested in since there weren't any general fiction titles available---they have a different purpose after all. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed being there and shopping at one of the most interesting bookshops in the world.

The MV Doulos is now on its last visit to Manila and its last world tour (Doulos will be decommissioned in 2010). From March 6 to March 30, the floating bookshop will be docked at the Manila South Harbour, Pier 13 (enter through gate 1). Store hours: 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.

I am definitely not missing their last visit to Manila. I will be there with my dad and cousin in tow tomorrow morning!

**********














**********
Some interesting facts about Doulos from www.mvdoulos.org:
  • Doulos was built in 1914---only two years younger than the Titanic.
  • The ship was originally built to carry cargo and has undergone many name changes (and purposes). She has sailed under four names: Medina, Roma, Franca C, and Doulos. The ship has been used for four different purposes: freighting goods, transporting emigrants, for cruises, and most recently as a floating bookstore and a vessel to bring knowledge, help and hope to the people of the world.
  • Doulos visits port cities throughout the world, supplying vital literature resources, encouraging inter-cultural understanding, training young people for more effective life and service, promoting greater global awareness, providing practical aid and sharing a message of hope in God wherever there is opportunity.
  • Volunteers from over 40 countries serve on board Doulos. They are mostly young people who have chosen to dedicate two years of their lives to be on board, learning to live and work together, and serving the communities in the ports visited. Every single person on board is a volunteer, from the Captain to the cook to those scrubbing the floors.
  • Doulos is more than just a bookshop. The volunteers get off the ship once a week to bring knowledge and hope to those around them by reaching out to orphans, young children, prisoners, and underprivilieged communities. Some of the practical knowledge that they teach are lessons in wood-working, welding, and soap-making.
  • Doulos has been to Manila six times.
  • Over 20 million visitors have been welcomed on board for tours, programmes and visits to the floating book fair. With stops in over 500 ports of call, this unique ship has visited more than 100 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East and many island nations.
Learn more: www.mvdoulos.org

1 comment:

  1. I have that build your own ship book. I built half of it and gave up... Hahaha.

    Was there in 2007 too. I got a great Eric Carle book (a duck counting book with a quacking sound!), and great calendars and journals and some language instruction books.

    I want to go too but my sched is crazy right now. I wonder if I can get some Flippers to go on a weeknight next week...

    ReplyDelete